Advice and support
Here is an overview of the different support platforms and where and who you can ask for advice on different subjects.
A good place to start is the website of Amsterdam UMC research support.
- Intranet VUmc - Vertrouwenspersoon Wetenschappelijke Integriteit
- AMC Intranet - Drie vertrouwenspersonen voor het geval dát
- Vertrouwenspersoon WI - Wetenschappelijke Integriteit VU-VUmc - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- Intranet VUmc - Andere vormen van ondersteuning binnen Amsterdam UMC
Please refer to our guidline on Privacy in this Handbook.
- VUmc privacy officer; email@example.com
- VUmc intranet: meldknop Privacy Incidenten intranet (Meld Incident Storing Klacht)
- VU: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- AMC: AMC Intranet - Privacy en Informatiebeveiliging
Research Data management
- Research Data Management Helpdesk – AMC: AMC Intranet - Research Data Management Helpdesk
- Research Data Management Contact – VUmc: Intranet VUmc - Contact
- Research Data Management VU: Research Data Management - Mission and Profile - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (vu.nl)
For more infromation also see: Research data management (amsterdamumc.org)
Choice of adequate measurement instruments
The Clinimetrics group can be approached for help with the choice of adequate (e.g. well validated) measurement instruments. This group also undertakes research in this field. Contact Dr. Wieneke Mokkink or Dr. Caroline Terwee regarding questions about the measurement properties of instruments. Also see Clinimetrics guidelines in this Handbook
Statistical/methodological support and support for data analysis
EpidM offers a lot of methodological and statistical courses. In addition, the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics (E&B). Methodological/statistical support from the Epidemiology & Biostatistics Department can be requested through their E&B Xpert service.
The contact at the E&B can be approached for questions regarding:
- Research design, including power and sample size calculations;
- Statistics, including statistical modelling and data analysis, more specific questions about the use of statistical software, such as SPSS and S-Plus, multilevel analysis (MLwiN and GEE), (confirmative) factor analysis, etc.;
- Help in interpreting output and reporting output in articles.
For more information on methodological and statistical support see this link: Methodological and statistical support (amsterdamumc.org).
The APH Research Institute and the Institute of Health Sciences at the VU University contribute to Health Technology Assessment (HTA) unit, which provides support in cost-effectiveness analyses. Prof. dr. Maurits van Tulder is the head, who has a joint appointment with the APH Research Institute and Health Sciences.
Maurits van Tulder can be approached for formulating and planning cost-effectiveness analyses for grant applications (particularly ZONMW). In addition, this unit offers support in cost calculations, (statistical) cost comparisons between groups, calculating confidence intervals for cost-effectiveness ratios and acceptability curves. This HTA support is in principal not free of costs and should be included in the project’s budget.
There is no special unit that can be approached for advice regarding this topic. Refer to the Systematic review guideline for the design and creation of systematic reviews.
Should you be interested in working on a (Cochrane) diagnostic test accuracy systematic review, then you could contact Dr. Mariska Leeflang (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- AMC Intranet - Ik wil een Systematische Review (SR) schrijven
- Systematische reviews - WikiStatistiek (amc.nl)
- Introduction - Systematic Reviews - LibGuides at VU Amsterdam
- Systematische reviews en meta-analyse (epidm.nl)
For more information see the guideline in this Handbook. For help and advice with literature searching:
- AMC Intranet - Medische Bibliotheek AMC Literatuur
- Literatuuronderzoek - De UB voor onderzoekers - Universiteitsbibliotheek, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (vu.nl)
Please refer to our guidelines on qualitative research in this handbook. EpidM offers a basic course on qualitative research for researchers with little to no experience in qualitative research (in Dutch): ‘Cursus K78, Kwalitatief onderzoek in de praktijk van de gezondheidszorg’.
Please refer to our guidelines on intersectionality in this handbook. For more information on intersectionality or to enter the SharePoint platform, please contact Dr. Maaike Muntinga: email@example.com.
See the guidelines in the phase Design, Plan & Propose for more information.
- For Amsterdam UMC: Research Grant Support (amsterdamumc.org); AMC Intranet - Grant support (intranet)
- For VU: VU Grants Office - Research support - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
- For UvA: Grant Support UvA-HvA - University of Amsterdam
See the Grant Support page for a list of external sponsor funding opportunity web pages. There are also internal funding opportunities to APH - Internal grants (amsterdamumc.org)
- Make sure you are enlisted to receive the APH newsletter for updates on internal funding opportunities.
- Yellow Pages: the weekly newsletter of the Amsterdam UMC and VU Grant Offices. It contains announcements about grant opportunities, deadlines to register for internal support, workshops, scientific meetings, a research agenda and other activities related to research.
- firstname.lastname@example.org to subscribe/unsubscribe
Legal Affairs or Legal Councel
- AMC Intranet - Legal Research Support
- Arrange your Legal affairs - Innovation Exchange Amsterdam (ixa.nl)
Clinical research monitoring
The clinical monitoring center (CMC) of Amsterdam UMC provides monitoring services and related consultation and education. Please refer to this link: Clinical research monitoring (amsterdamumc.org)
See our implementation science hub website: Implementation science (amsterdamumc.org)
Doctoral Training and Supervision
Amtserdam UMC Doctoral School support and advice during PhD trajectory for PhD candidates and their supervisors, click here.
For advice on Medical device development please see here: Intranet VUmc - Medische hulpmiddelen
For more information on APH scientific quality or the Scientific Quality Committee please contact us!