Ending your project
Finalizing the project with adequate preparation.
- Researchers in general need to make an overview of the remaining activities
- Documents need to be archived when a project ends (see Archiving)
- Arrangements need to be made when a researcher is leaving (see Researchers leaving)
- PhD candidates need to prepare their PhD graduation
- A detailed plan (of approximately the last six months) of your project
- Update your Data Management Plan.
- Write a hand-over document to make sure it is clear enough for your team to understand what has been done and where documents are located (add internal reference), so you can use it as a handover of your project /study as well and contribute to future inspection readiness.
- Initiates a plan (approximately six months before the end of the project) to adequately end the project
- Ensures that the planning is feasible within the contract time
Research assistant: N.A.
Researchers in general can consider the following actions to make an overview of the remaining activities
- Explore to what extend you need to finish (scientific) articles and associated data-analyses?
- Explore whether or not/if you need to prepare a final report for the funder and associated data-analyses?
- Explore what data you need to hand over and/or archive, and if working with collaborators: what original or copies of data need to be stored where to ensure supportive documents for your Doctorate degree are available at your institute.
- Explore whether or not/if you need to make agreements concerning the future of the project(s)?
- Plan an lessons-learned meeting with your team and manager/ supervisor. Where you discuss and evaluate the project. Discussing: 1) what went well, 2) what could have been better, 3) what are the lessons-learned and key take-away for future projects.
Information for PhD candidates graduating at the ‘Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam’
- VU: https://www.vu.nl/en/research/taking-phd/index.aspx
- VUmc: https://amsterdamumc.org/education/phd-student/phd-graduation.htm
Information for PhD candidates graduating at the University of Amsterdam
- AMC: https://amsterdamumc.org/education/phd-student/phd-graduation.htm
- UvA: https://www.uva.nl/en/research/phd/doctoral-programme/completion/completion.html
Also see Finish your PhD checklist.